Roast Label Rouge traditional capon with baked apples and potatoes
Preparation time: 20 mn
Cooking time: 2 h
Ingredients for 8 people:
- 1 Label Rouge Traditional Capon, weight 3 kg
- 8 Cox’s orange pippin apples
- 200 g fresh or deep-frozen redcurrants
- 1 jar of redcurrant jelly
- 500 g of new potatoes
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- Olive oil
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- Tie up the capon and brush it with olive oil
- Place the capon in an oven dish, season with salt and pepper. Put in the oven and cook for 2 hours at 180°C (th.6), basting regularly with the juices.
- Peel and core the Cox’s orange pippin apples. Arrange them in an oven dish, filling the centre of each apple with redcurrant jelly.
- Wash the new potatoes and place them in the same dish, sprinkle with sea-salt and thyme and pour on the olive oil.
- Place in the oven and cook for 25 minutes basting from time to time with the juices.
- Before serving, place a bunch of redcurrants on each apple.
- Present the capon on a serving dish surrounded by the windfalls and Cox’s orange pippin apples.
- Serve the juices separately in a sauceboat.
- Serve piping hot.